Trimdon Grange is a former mining village, the pit having opened in May 1845 and closed on the 16th February 1968.
On 16 February 1882, at approximately, 2:00pm, there was an explosion at the pit with the loss of 74 men and boys, with five of the dead men being from the same family. Shortly after this explosion the law was changed to prevent members of the same family working the same shift.
The dead were buried in the Church Graveyards at Trimdon and Kelloe. Memorial stones with the names of the buried dead were provided in each churchyard. A Memorial Wheel has also been erected near the small shopping centre in the village.
The Colliery Banner (still draped in black as is the tradition following the loss of life at a colliery) hangs in the Community Centre and is still paraded at the Durham Miners’ Gala each year.
Trimdon Grange has a Nursery and Infant School, together with a Community Centre that has a recently established play area attached. There are also Council owned football pitches in the village as well as the Cemetery and allotments.
If you require further information or would like to make an enquiry please contact us.